As a fast, convenient and reliable filter tool, the disposable syringe filter is widely used in many industries, such as sample pre-filtration, clarification and de-particles, liquid and gas sterilization filtration. The syringe filter is featuring precise design, rational internal space and low residual rate, which is well received among the users. With little adsorption to the sample, the use of syringe filter ensures the high recovery of a large amount of small or high-value samples.
Usually, the housing of syringe filter is made of polypropylene, which is welded by ultrasonic, and does not contain adhesive, so it will not contaminate the sample. The syringe filter can be disposable and resuable and today HAWACH will discuss the disposable syringe filter classification and the various filter materials. If you would like to know more about the resuable ones, contact HAWACH freely.
1. Solution property classification: organic and water phase filtration.
2. Classification of filtration phase: gas phase filtration; liquid phase filtration.
3. Purpose of filtration or process classification: sterilization filtration; clarification filtration; pre-filtration; particle removal filtration.
4. Interface form: female bayonet; formula socket.
5. Dimensions: 4mm\13mm\17mm\25mm\30mm\33mm\50mm, etc.
6. Filter layer structure: single-layer, multi-layer and capillary structure.
Now, there are hplc disposable syringe with pre-filter membrane. If the filtered product contains a lot of particles or viscous impurities, the syringe filter with a pre-filter membrane is recommended. The rigidity and large specific surface area of the membrane have the characteristics of small retention capacity and low resistance, so the pre-filtration membrane filter can maintain high flux even if it processes difficult-to-filter samples.
The syringe filter with pre-filter membrane is featured by excellent filtering and impurity removal effect, high flux, and the filtration efficiency improvement. The pre-filter membrane can play a role in protecting the filter membrane, so that the filter membrane is not easily damaged even under strong pressure.
The filter materials of the syringe filters vary much and operator can choose it based on the experimental requirements. The PTFE, GF, Nylon, PP and PVDF are commonly used.
1. The PTFE membrane is made of PTFE, which is completely natural and hydrophobic. Its performance is just the opposite of that of hydrophilic membranes. With strong chemical compatibility, PTFE membrane can filter strong corrosive chemicals and almost all organic solvents.
2. The GF(glass fiber) membrane is used for improvement of filtration rate and continuous filtration; as a kind of deep-layer filtration, the main purpose is to be used as a pre-filter layer and directly added to the filter membrane.
3. Nylon membrane is featured by excellnet mechanical strength, adsorption, and resistane to most organic solvents and most alkaline solutions. Though nylon membranes can be used as transfer membranes, it is not suggested to filter biological samples, because of the relatively high adsorption such as culture media. In this case, a low-adsorption cellulose acetate membrane (CA) is usually used, which is more suitable.
4. The PP membrane is able to withstand most chemical solvents, in addition to the strong oxidants, at room temperature. Also, it can be used to remove impurities or particles in liquids or gases.
5. PVDF membrane has excellent heat resistance and chemical stability, which doesn’t corroded by strong oxidants and halogens, acids, and alkalis at room temperature. The PVDF membrane is stable to organic solvents such as aromatic hydrocarbons, aliphatic hydrocarbons, aldehydes and alcohols. Hydrophilic PVDF syringe filters is widely used in sterilization filtration in biopharmaceuticals due to its low protein adsorption capacity.