Prefiltering the samples and solvents to remove particulate contaminants is necessary, as the chromatographic column packing’s particle size is small which is easy to be blocked by impurity particles. Also, the Ion chromatography requires no inorganic contaminants to be introduced in sample pretreatment. In HPLC analysis and IC analysis, syringe filters are frequnently used. In the sample pretreatment process, it’s an important step to filter samples. Here we will talk about the wide application of HPLC syringe filter in HPLC analysis and seven use notes.
Wide application of syringe filter in HPLC analysis Liquid chromatography (HPLC) is an analytical method developed in the late 1960s. In recent years, luer lock syringe filter has been widely used in the separation and determination of functional components of health foods, nutritional supplements, vitamins, and proteins. 80% Of organic compounds can be analyzed and determined by HPLC. Its features include:
1. The separation efficiency of HPLC is higher than that of ordinary liquid chromatography. Many new stationary phases have appeared in the development process, which greatly improves the separation efficiency.
2. High sensitivity: High-sensitivity detectors have been widely used in liquid chromatography to further improve the sensitivity of analysis. For example, the sensitivity of the fluorescence detector can reach 10-11g. In addition, the sample volume is small, and microliters are more frequently used.
3. High speed: The flow rate of the mobile phase in the column is much faster than that of classical chromatography, generally up to 1-10ml/min. The analysis time required by liquid chromatography is much less than that of classical liquid chromatography, generally less than 1h.
4. High pressure: Liquid chromatography uses liquid as the mobile phase. The liquid flows through the chromatographic column and is subject to greater resistance. In order to quickly pass through the chromatographic column, high pressure must be applied to the carrier liquid. Generally it can reach 150～350×105Pa.
5. Wide application range: Comparing gas chromatography with liquid chromatography, although gas chromatography has the advantages of good separation ability, high sensitivity, fast analysis speed, convenient operation, etc., it is limited by technical conditions, substances with too high boiling point or poor thermal stability are difficult to analyze by gas chromatography.
The liquid chromatography method only requires that the sample can be made into a solution without vaporization, so it is not limited by the volatility of the sample. For organic matter with high boiling point, poor thermal stability, and large relative molecular weight (more than 400) (these substances account for almost 75% to 80% of the total organic matter), in principle, liquid chromatography can be used for separation and analysis. According to statistics, among the known compounds, about 20% can be analyzed by gas chromatography, and about 70-80% can be analyzed by liquid chromatography.
1. The new syringe filter must be cleaned with detergent, and then sterilized, disinfected and cleaned with high-temperature steam to avoid contamination.
2. Before using the syringe filter, we must check whether the accessories and sealing ring are complete and whether there is any damage, and then install it as required.
3. The pressure gauge of the cylinder is a liquid pressure display gauge. If it is a secondary filtration, it is normal that the syringe filter pressure gauge index is slightly less. The longer the use time, the pressure will increase and the flow rate will decrease, which means most of the gaps in the filter element have been blocked and need to be flushed or replaced with a new filter element.
4. When installing the syringe filter, do not connect the inlet and outlet reversely.The liquid inlet port is the one on the pipe filter bottom plate side, and the clean liquid outlet port is the one connected to the filter element socket.
5. When inserting the filter element into the port, the filter element must be vertical. After inserting the port, the pressure plate buckles the fins and tighten the screws. After the inlet of the filter element of the 226 interface, it should be rotated 90 degrees and clamped. This is the key to installation. If you are not careful, the seal will not be achieved, and the water will leak easily, which will not meet your requirements.
6. The new filter element is packaged by the manufacturer in a plastic bag in a clean production plant. Do not tear the plastic packaging before use. Use a more demanding filter element. Sterilize it with high-temperature steam after installation.
7. When the liquid to be filtered enters, the vent switch on the syringe filter should be turned on to fill the cylinder with the liquid, otherwise the filtering effect will not be good.The above is all the contents of the syringe filter prepared by the HAWACH editor today. Welcome to share more with us.
Click here to know Cleaning And Disinfection Of Syringe Filter